August 12, 2009

My Trip to NJ Shore...and the 555.

This past week I made the pilgrimage back home to Cape May, New Jersey to visit family and freinds. I did get some training in during my trip, including a 100 mile solo ride. Even though I prefer to ride with others, I really do like doing a few solo rides. It makes you mentally tougher. The highlight of my trip was the 555. I know, I know...what the heck is the 555? My buddies Chad and Terry came up with a unique benefit (race) consisting of a 5 mile ocean swim, 5 mile beach cruiser bike, and a 5 mile run. It's to raise awareness (and some $$$) for cancer, and in memorium of Terry's mom and step father who both lost their lives to the disease. It was a true grass roots event. Only 20 or so people competed (all invited). Most were Cape May locals and/or lifeguards (or in my case, ex-lifeguard). It was a ton of fun.


Now that I'm back in Massachusetts, I'm trying to figure out how to kick start my training. I feel like I keep getting derailed. Today I woke up with shooting pain in my back and neck. Unfortunately, this prevented me from swimming. Hopefully, I'll be able to get on the trainer tomorrow and be able to run in the evening. Sometimes it's an effort to just get out the door!

No comments:

Post a Comment