August 2, 2011

My Sports Hernia- Part II

Once I had my surgery scheduled, I tried to put it out of mind.  The last thing I wanted to do was "think" about surgery.  So, I went about my business.  Although I wasn't really training, I tried to get in the pool occasionally, and I definitely tried to stay on the bike.  For me, I definitely wasn't in "good shape", but I wasn't in bad shape either.  As April 14th approached, I started to search the internet again for information on the surgery and recovery.  I stumbled upon a blog post by a local guy (with the same last name) who had the same surgery by the same doctors.  Since I had some questions, I emailed him.  He emailed me back and we set up a phone call....the night before the surgery.  As much as I was afraid of what he was going to tell me, it was a good conversation and I am very appreciative that he took the time to talk.

So, the actual procedure is called a Pelvic Floor Repair....it doesn't involve mesh, like most people ask.  It involves reattaching the muscle and then letting it heal.  On the morning of the surgery, I followed all of the pre-surgery protocols.  No food, only one cup of black coffee.  Jenn drove me to the UMass Hospital in Worcester.  I sat down in the waiting room.  "Patrick".  Oh shit....that was fast.  No time to even sit down. They brought me back to prep me for surgery.  Since I was going to be back there for a while, I had Jenn come back with me.  I had multiple people come by....nurses, doctors, anesthesiologist.  Nothing like using the bathroom with an IV drip attached to your arm.  This was actually when I really started to think about what was ahead.  I was kind of "in the dark" about the procedure, recovery, etc.  Dr. Busconi came by and chatted a bit....cracked some jokes.  Then Dr. Litwin came by.  I finally know what people mean by "bedside manner" of a doctor.  I liked him a lot more after this visit.  He was just very calming and reassuring....which was what I needed.  Jenn kissed me goodbye, then they finally brought me back to the operating room.  At this point, the anesthesia was really kicking in...I was barely aware.  I remember seeing a bunch of people......then I woke up in the recovery room....(to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment