August 7, 2010

Square One....

Man, I feel like I'm back at square one...like I was in November/December.  I honestly don't know how some people are coming off of their races at LP and putting in big weeks already.  I ran for the first time on Wednesday.  Although my time/pace was good....I could tell that I was a mess.  My knees were killing me afterwards.  Then, the following morning, I felt like crap.  I didn't feel well for 2 days.  Fortunately, I'm feeling better this morning....which is good, because I need to get out there on the bike!  After consulting w/my coach, the goal for the next few weeks is not to kill myself...but rather get some good training in while recovering.  It makes no sense to bury myself now.  As they say, Ironman is hard...or everyone would do it!  It takes a while to recover.

One of the tough things about training for IM are the sacrifices made.  My wife makes them all the time for my training.  This was very clear on Thursday night.  We had tickets to go see Interpol at the House of Blues....one of my favorite bands.  I had been dying to see these guys.  But, feeling the way I did, I decided to skip it.  I just couldn't afford to put myself deeper into a hole.  If it was February...I would have gone.  But, with only a handful of weeks to train for Kona, I decided that I needed the rest more than the show.  It sucks...but it's the path I chose.   Minimal on the larger scale...I know.  But a sacrifice nonetheless!

No comments:

Post a Comment