May 7, 2010

Race weekend!

Sunday is the first tri of the year for me...the New England Season Opener in Hopkinton.  It's a total sprint....but I'm actually nervous.  Not to race...but to get ready to race.  The first race of the season means that I actually have to dig out all of my stuff...wetsuit, body glide...everything I race with.  I haven't even started to look for these things.  Some of these things are still sitting in zip lock bags and stuffed in drawers from last October.  I guess I'll starting pulling everything together tonight...to give me an extra day in case I need to run out to pick anything up.

I also hit the track for the first time this year.  I had 3x mile w/3 minutes of recovery.  Since it's on the way home from work, I run at the Watertown track.  It's not a bad track, but there are so many non-runners there, it makes it hard to workout (kids on tricycles and walkers in lane 1 and 2).  Anyway, the workout went okay....5:23; 5:19; 5:19.  At least I thought it did.  I was told that I need to go closer to 5:10 next time!  To be honest, I'm not sure I can pull that off right now.  But, w/anything....swimming, biking, running....it's not a good idea to go in w/pre-conceived notions of what you can and can't do.  If you think you can only hold 210 watts on the bike....that's what you're going to do....when you might be able to hold 220 or 225 if you tried.  So, next time I'm going to shoot for 5:10s.  If I run 5:15s....so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment