May 1, 2010

Questions

Okay, it's now May 1st.  I haven't really ridden anything longer than 3 1/2 hours or run mor than 1:40 (both only one time).  This has really been weighing heavily on me as I've always done the long stuff by now....especially going into the summer w/an Ironman on the horizon.  However, my coach assures me that we're doing everything according to plan...and it's more important to work on the intensity right now.  That being said, I started to think about where I am this year at this point, compared to last year (coming off my first visit to the Big Island....and not real motivated).  Now that I think about it, it's like night and day.   Last year I really wasn't riding or running long... and my swimming was anything but consistent.  I went into my first triathlon (Mooseman Olympic Distance) over race weight and undertrained...and it showed.  I mean...I did okay...but not where I should have been.  Then, I just happened to uncork a decent race at Rhode Island 70.3 to get a 2009 Kona slot.  I definitely whipped myself into somewhat better shape by RI, but the only reason I fared as well as I did was because of my race experience and base.  So, I look at where I am now...

I rode my tt bike outside for the first time last week and felt great.  I definitely have more power on the bike.  I haven't run long....but I've done way more intensity...and I ran 1:17:40 at the Hyannis Half back in Feb. after a 3 week layoff from being sick.  And, my swimming is really coming around.  I feel really good in the water.  So, I guess when it's all said and done....I'm not worried about where I am right now.  There's a time and place for the long stuff.  And, looking at my schedule....that begins next week:)

-P

No comments:

Post a Comment