September 14, 2009

One more....

Only one more big training weekend before the taper begins....and I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad about it. I guess I'm just feeling like I haven't had a lot of prep time for this. This past weekend was pretty good. Jenn's in China...again....so all I have to do is train, rest and take care of my pets, Billie and Tinley. Unfortunately, I had to deal with another rain drenched Saturday (2 out of the last 3 weekends). So, I moved my long ride to Sunday and did my long run on Saturday. I was very happy with my run. I drove over to Fresh Pond in Cambridge to run the 2.5 mile loop around the pond. I wanted to be able to grab drinks, etc during the run. I also wanted to jump in the Fresh Pond weekly race which started at 10am. I was hoping to get 5 laps in before the race (12.5 miles), but only managed 4 since I got there late. I was happy to see that I kept my pace under 7 minute per mile pace for the 10 without really trying and without getting the HR above 150. I jumped in the race, which was rather large due to 4 HS teams racing. It was the biggest turnout I've ever seen at the race. My goal here was to keep this very conservative. I went out fairly controlled (but still a little fast) and went through the first lap in 15:40. About midway through the second lap I could feel my piriformis acting up so I shut it down and ran fairly easy through the finish. I ended up with 31:30....which was faster than I thought I'd run (I was hoping for 32). I ran another lap+ to get in 18 miles. All in all a good day....and my avg. pace was around 6:50 pace. Sunday was a long ride with my buddy Matt. It was still fairly wet when we started at 6:30am. But, the sun came out and it started to dry up. The ride was uneventful....just getting it in. I definitely didn't drink enough which was quite apparent when I tried to do a short transition run afterward. I weighed myself after the run and I had lost 4lbs. I definitely need to focus on my nutrition more. I rode the couch for the rest of the day and watched football. I jumped on my treadmill in the evening for another 6 miles. I'm feeling like my run is very close to where it needs to be (IM is all about the run). I would like to drop another lb or so before I leave. I only have 3 weeks before we fly out. I guess it's salads for dinner this week:)

No comments:

Post a Comment