September 5, 2010

Hey Legs....nice to see you again!

Well, the legs are finally coming back...and it's taken longer than expected (well, for me...not my coach).  Anyway, I've now gotten two good runs the past two weekend.  Last weekend was a 2 hour progression run... 40 minutes @ z1, 40 @ z2, 40 @ z3.  I intentionally started the w/o later to run in the heat.  It was a solid workout.  However, I miscalculated the last 40 minutes w/respect to hydration...and was suffering at the end.  All in all, around 6:53 pace for 17+ miles.  Today was a shorter run...90 minutes @ z1/2.  Again, I waited until around 9:30 to run.  But, it really didn't warm up much.  So, I wore my underarmour heat shirt during the run.  The first couple of miles were torture, as my knees were really hurting (nothing like running in pain!).  But, after the first couple of miles, the pain subsided and I started cranking along.  I kept my pace consistent and my stride tight...and clipped off an average of approx. 6:30 miles for the middle 8-9 miles.  I even hit a 6:15 mile in there.  My overall average was 6:50 even.  Anyway, the legs are finally coming back....just in time. 

Jenn's been gone for a week now.  She's traveling in China.  She gets back next Friday, and I'll be happy to have my training partner back.  She makes this task a whole lot easier.  She may not actually swim, ride and run with me.  But, she encourages me and helps me through my workouts....and even drives out to meet me on my run to hand off fluids and nutrition.  The best training partner there is.  And, I'll need her as I have a 3 sport day next Saturday.  Swim, 6 hour ride, hour run.  I cringe just thinking about that one!

-Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment