October 10, 2008

Day Five....Calm Before the Storm

Pre-race day is upon us. Now the nervousness can begin! Last night we attended the pre-race banquet with the rest of the Boston congtingent. It was a good time, although the food left a little to be desired.
On the way back to the car, we walked along Alii Drive...and you could just feel things change. It just had a different feeling.

Today, I got up and did my pre-race warmup which consisted of a quick 10 minute bike/10 minute run...then down to the swim venue for a 10 minute swim. Today was the first time that I put on my XTerra skin suit since I got to Kona.

After I exited the swim, I ran into an Ironman legend....Scott Tinley (my cat's namesake!). He was very friendly. I think I was most excited to meet him out of everyone so far.



I made a quick trip to the ART (active release therapy) Tent to get loosened up...something I've done the past couple of days...we headed to breakfast. Breakfast is my biggest meal of the day leading into a race...sometimes people don't believe how much I eat...here's proof:
When we got back to the condo, I finished putting my race bags together. As I was doing that, a big Navy shipped pulled into Kona. Navy is a sponsor of the race, so this was kind of expected...but pretty cool to see.

I also took a quick pic of my ride....which is ready to roll along the lava fields. My buddy the Geiko Gecko showed up to check my bike out too!
This is my last post until after the race. It's time for me to start focusing. Right now, I'm not quite sure how I feel physically. But, at this point, it is what it is. Mentally, it funny....I'm not that nervous....at least compared to how nervous I usually get. Maybe it's due to the fact that I'm not chasing an ironman slot. Whatever. No disrespect to Madame Pele (fire goddess), who already gave me a flat tire, but I'm ready to give it hell out there. We'll see what happens!

Here are the links to some pictures that I've taken:










1 comment:

  1. Congrats! You did really well. Enjoy the rest of your vacation!!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete