October 25, 2008

Post Race....okay, 2 weeks post race!

Okay, today marks 2 weeks since I've raced. Jenn and I spent a nice, but very expensive week, in Maui. Other than some water sports (in Maui) and a couple of short runs, I haven't done much physically...except eat and drink. I did do some surfing in Kihei.

After Maui, I came home and Jenn left for China for work. She's got another week there before she comes home. She'll have been away from home for about a month when she finally gets back late next week....crazy. I couldn't do her job. It's been a little tough for me this week, getting back into things...including work. Jet lag has played a role. But, so has staying up late to watch my Phillies in the World Series. Hopefully I'll be good after this weekend.

Now that 2 weeks have passed, I'm starting to think about my future racing plans. When I mention this to people, I get this response...."I thought you were done after Hawaii". Well, I never said that. What I said is that I'm done with Ironman for a while...which I am. But, I'm a competitor and love it. I want to be racing when I'm 80. This next year, I'm thinking of focusing on some shorter distances, however, I did sign up for Timberman 70.3 in August, which is a half ironman. I'm thinking that race will be my longest race of the season and only half ironman. However, my dad (mid 60s) just qualified for the Boston Marathon, so I'm strongly considering running a qualifying race in January so I can do it too. Funny thing is, now that I'm in the 35-39 age group, I only need to run a 3:15 marathon to qualify for Boston. My run split in Hawaii was 3:17. I only missed qualifying by a couple of minutes....crazy. However, if I am going to run a marathon in January, I'll probably try to get myself in decent shape. I'd like to be able to run under 2:50, which I should be able to do. Currently, however, I'm afraid to step onto a scale. Seriously. 2 weeks ago, I was in fantastic shape....weighing 154 lbs. After 2 weeks of doing nothing but eating, I'm sure I'm over 160 (just not too sure how much over!).

As I look back at my race in Hawaii, I'm now realizing how cool it really was. While I was there, it was cool, but it was also another race. Now that it's over, I realize how special the race and the island really are. Not everyone will agree with me on this. Not everyone likes the race after they compete. But, I loved it. I actually miss Kona. It went by soooo fast (including the race). And, I've already decided that I'm going back...someday (I have to qualify again first). I'm also going to do another ironman in the next couple of years. Hawaii was my first solid day at the ironman distance, after 5 attempts...so now I actually see what I can do at the distance. But, I'm keeping my promise...no ironman races this year!

I've decided to keep posting to the blog periodically, for those still following and want to keep following.
Post Note: I've decided to scrap the marathon plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment