July 5, 2010

My Holiday Weekend Vent!

Okay, once in a while I need to vent.  This is one of them times.  I'm a fairly cautious cyclist.  I always try to be aware of my surroundings....especially cars.  So, here I was on the Monday following Independence Day....riding through Concord, Massachusetts....a very well know cycling town.  I'm riding over by a place called Verrill Farms....fairly wide roads and decent shoulders.  There are hardly any cars on the road, mind you.  I'm riding close to the shoulder...as per usual....and not even in my aerobars.  Then I hear it.....beep, beep, beep.  I'm thinking, there's no way this car is beeping at me.  There aren't any cars coming in the opposite direction...and I'm hugging the shoulder.  BEEEEEEP...I turn around to see this 40-50 year old woman in a Mercedes laying into her horn and yelling at me through closed windows.  Of course, those who know me know I took the high road and said nothing;-)  Umm...I may have let a few explicatives fly!  I mean....what did she want me to do?  Where did she expect me to go?  Ride on the grass?  I literally had no other place to go.  Oh....and here's the ironic part.  All of this happened as I passed the "Share The Road" sign....which Concord officials put up for cars to share the road w/cyclists!  NICE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment