July 4, 2010

A nice enjoyable holiday weekend....yeah right.

While most were out enjoying the awesome weather that we're having, I was enjoying my last "big" training weekend before LP.  Saturday was rough....a 6 hour bike and 1:30 transition run was on the schedule.  I hit the road around 7:30am.  All systems were go for a while....then I started having some issues with my hamstrings...making it difficult to get comfortable in the aerobars.  I did my best to stay in them.  I hydrated well...but didn't quite hit my nutrition (need to straighten that out quickly).  I finished up the ride with just over 5 and a half hours (I decided that I'd had enough).  I really think that my previous training weekend in LP was catching up w/me.  Anyway, I put my run stuff on and headed out the door.  The plan was to run 45 minutes out...where Jenn would be waiting w/fluids (I also hit a water fountain on my run...2 times).  I made it about 150 meters and then started walking.  I was hurting.  I thought about turning around.  A 1:30 "transition" run just seemed daunting.  But, I said "F" it....keep running.  I figured that if I felt awful, I could hop in the car at 45 minutes (but even that felt really long!).  As I started running, I got into a better groove.  I said to my self that maybe I could do an hour...then stop.  After about 20 minutes I told myself "F" it again....I'm doing this.  About that time, I was running well.  It's amazing....first 200 meter I don't know how I'm going to finish.  Then, 20 minutes into it...I'm running low 7 minute miles.  Lesson learned....just keep moving.  The promising thing is that I could have kept going (w/fluid and some nutrition).  I finished up my 7 hour day strong. 

Today was a solo swim at Mystic Lake.  I wore a sleeveless suit today since the last 2 times I've worn my full suit, I've been cooking, literally.  Not just hot....but almost sick.  When I get hot...my stroke slows a lot!  But, today was a different story.  I felt much, much better.  Unfortunately, my sleeveless is in BAD shape.  So, I'll probably invest in a new one for LP.  I'd still like to wear the full suit...if temps allow.  But, if they're questionable.....I'm going sleeveless.    I followed up my swim with a 45 minute run w/tempo and an hour ez on the bike (road bike). 

Tomorrow is another solo swim...and a 3 hour ride w/an hour of tempo.  Then, finally, a day off on Tuesday.  Less than 3 weeks away.  Time to start getting ready!

Funny story....most of you know my dog, Billie (my little girl).  She doesn't get spooked by much....not even thunder and lighting.  But, she's scared to death of fireworks.  So much so that last night she burrowed under the bed.  Not the covers....the bed!  Then she got stuck and couldn't get out.  Tonight (4th of July) should be fun.
-Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment