July 15, 2010

Old Colony Race Report and other ramblings....

Yeah...I know, I haven't posted in a while.  I just haven't been motivated to post.  Oh well.  I'm into my taper now.  Only 9 days to go.  Bike is in the shop getting final tuneups.  The body has been to the chiropractor and massage therapist for final tuneups.  It's getting close!

This past weekend I raced the Old Colony olympic distance race.  I hemmed and hawed over doing it.  But my coach said that an olympic distance race would be fine 2 weeks out.  So, I did my obligatory Saturday workouts...then got ready to race on Sunday.  When I woke on Sunday, I just wasn't feeling it.  I really wasn't motivated to race.  I'm not sure why...I just wasn't.  But, we drove down, registered and got ready.  Since my new sleeveless suit isn't in yet, I wore my old QR wetsuit that has holes and rips all over it.  The swim went okay.  I came out 4th in my wave.  Since I really didn't know the guys in front, I have no measuring stick.  I got on the bike and went to work.  Racing short is really a different animal.  You just have to go hard right out of the gate...which I'm just not used to doing.  It took me a good few miles to really get going.  I caught 2 of the 3 guys in front of me before the end of the first lap (4 laps).  After the first lap, the course starts to get congested with athletes.  And, being that this wasn't an "A" race, I was careful w/turns and passes.  However, with all the athletes, I couldn't tell if I ever caught the guy in the lead.  I came into transition and realized that I was still in second.  Hmmm.  I really didn't want to have to run all out.  Fortunately, as I exited the trail from T2 to the road, I realized the leader was only 150 meters in front of me.  So, I just kept my pace and reeled him in.  I passed him at about a mile....then put some distance between us.  Once I had lost sight of him, I dialed it back slightly (no need to fry myself).  I came across first...about 3 minutes ahead of second place.  It was nice to get the win....but I was happier w/the way I felt on the bike and run.  It was also great to have a large contingent of BTT teammates out racing and on the course.  It's just a prelude to the big one in 9 days!  Again...in my taper....and energy is low....so I digress.....

No comments:

Post a Comment