June 6, 2010

T- 7 Days...Eagleman!

7 days until Eagleman....my early A race.  I'm getting excited.  I love this race.  To me, there's something exotic about travelling to a big race.  Maybe it's the long travel....it makes me feel more invested, I don't know.  But, today I'll start pulling all my gear and laying everything out.  We leave on Thursday afternoon.  But, until then, I have a few workouts on the schedule....

This past week was, again, very tough.  The workouts weren't ridiculously tough....but work was busy (usual theme) and I really struggled w/fatigue from last weekend.  Last weekend looked like this:

Saturday- 4:10 ride w/75 minute tempo and a 30 min tempo built in at 1/2 iron pace, followed by a 20 minute run as 5 minute Z1, 5 min Z2, 5 min Z3, 5 min Z1.

Sunday- Travelled to Maine to run the Pineland Farms 25K.  See previous post for race report.

Monday- 2 hour ride w/20 min. TT/Power Test outside (at the Charlie Baker TT course in Concord).

The cumulative caught up w/me on Wednesday when I had a 15 minute run TT on the track.  I started out okay...at 1:19 for the first 1/4 mile...then got progressively slower.  I bailed at 2 miles, which was timed at a very pedestrian 11:17.  I ran an ez lap, then did another mile at 5:36 (again very slow for me).  I was just a running mess on the track.  It all came to a head on Friday night....when I basically felt like walking death....in a complete haze.  Fortunately, I was able to get a little extra sleep this weekend due to the fact that my schedule is a bit lighter as I get ready for Eagleman.  We did however, adjust my workout on Tuesday which called for 4x 1 mile repeats, to get ready for next weekend.  I'm now only doing 6 x 400s.  I don't mind the repeat miles....but I want to be fresh for Sunday....and those take a lot out of the legs.  So, now it's all about next weekend.  Today is a race simulation. Tomorrow is off....w/massage, ice bath and recovery.  The rest of the week is relatively mild.  Time to get the legs back, so I can try to unleash something special on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment