June 29, 2010

Update

Well, I found out a week or so ago that running long before riding long is not something I do well!  When I last reported, I had a 2 hour run planned, then a 5 hour bike.  The bike did not go well.  I only managed 3.5 hours before I bagged it.  I just break down too much physically when I run long to try to ride long after.  My hips, hamstrings, back...make getting in the aerobars almost impossible.  Oh well...lesson learned...and plan adjusted.  I was able to do another, more productive 3.5 hour ride on Sunday with fellow teammate Matt Pokress.

This past weekend I made a quick (okay it's not quick) trip up to Lake Placid for a one man training camp.  Jenn came with me.  We didn't arrive in LP until close to 11pm due to a late start and traffic.  Saturday's plan was a swim, then ride/run.  LP is like a training mecca leading up to the Ironman....athletes everywhere.  I was in the water around 8am, and the swim went well.  It would have been nice to swim with some others....but there weren't as many people out there as I had expected.  Maybe some went out earlier....also, I think some people did the Tupper Lake Half Ironman which was only a short distance away.  After the swim, I got ready for the long portion of the day.  I headed out on the bike...and felt pretty good.  Unfortunately, around 20 miles in my speed stopped working.  I messed around w/my SRM for the next 10 miles trying to get it to work....then figured it was probably the battery in my speed sensor.  I really wanted to have complete measurements for the ride...oh well.  I saw a couple of BTTers, Elaine and Meg, out on the course on the back section....and chatted with each of them as I continued on my way to finish the first lap.  As I was finishing, it began to rain.  I refilled my bottles...then decided to stop by the bike shop to replace the battery in my sensor (also hoping the rain would stop).  After 15-20 minutes, I realized the rain wasn't going to stop....so off I went.  It really wasn't that bad....not a downpour.  I rode the second half fairly strong.  I felt very good on the bike.  I didn't, however, completely hit my nutrition.  It didn't affect me on the bike, but did on my run.  I headed out on the run and was good for 4-5 minutes...the started to struggle.  Fortunately, I saw Jenn around 25 minutes in...who gave me my Powerbar Endurance mix.  I was bonking at this point.  The PB really helped...and I felt much better.  I finished my hour transition run strong.  Good day!  I then got an hour massage to flush the legs...then off to take my forgiving wife to dinner.  I highly recommend the Brown Dog Cafe.  It was very good (but not cheap).

Sunday was the long run.  I ran really well.  Jenn met me every 30 minutes with PB Endurance, water, salt caps, and gels.  I did an out and back....incorporating the run course for ironman.  I kept the HR low (under 150....but closer to a 143 avg) and managed an average of somewhere between 6:45 and 6:49....for a little over 17.5 miles.  Very happy with this....since this is only my second 2 hour run since Kona last year. 

This coming weekend is my last big weekend....then we'll start to dial it back.   

No comments:

Post a Comment